If you are the victim of a flood or of a burst plumbing pipe, you really are going to suffer from damage that would be similar to a fire or from a natural disaster. Water, once it gets into your home any any large quantity, will settle into everything, making it impossible to be of any use at all.
Once things get wet they will either have to be dried and thorough cleaned or discarded completely. The reason for this is that much of the time flood water, or water that comes from a broken sewer or septic system contains harmful ingredients such as raw sewage, bacteria, viruses, mold and other outside pollutants such as fertilizers, pesticides, and petroleum products.
You should never attempt to clean up a water damaged situation yourself, but always use the services of a professional water damage restoration specialist. You do not have the protective clothing necessary, nor the equipment and expertise.
The first thing you if you have a large water damage area in your home is to call your insurance company, to check on your coverage. Your agent will be able to recommend a professional service to come and clean up your home. You should then find a temporary place to live, such as a hotel or a friend or relative’s place.
The very first thing that must be accomplished is to pump out any standing water, which is easily done with high speed pumps. Thus the water will be pumped outside of the building.
The next step in restoring your property to its former condition is to thoroughly dry all of the areas that have been contaminated by the water. This is accomplished by the use of high speed industrial style fans that are strategically positioned all through the area. This process may take several days.
While the drying is going on items that have retained water and are thoroughly soaked must be discarded. These would be items such as overstuffed furniture, pillows. draperies, carpets and padding, drywall, wall studs, and similar items.
These things have to be thrown out because whenever anything soaks up lots of water that cannot be effectively dried, mold and bacteria will start to grow immediately and they cannot be salvaged.
Even electric wiring systems and electric outlets will need to be discarded and replaced, as they may have been ruined by the water. Once everything is dry and items discarded the entire area must be sanitized so that no new bacteria and mold can grow. If this is not done, even though everything looks clean, mold and bacteria will surely grow later on.
Now reconstruction can take place, and the areas of your home can put put back into the condition that they once were. This can be a very laborious process and that is why it takes a professional who is trained and equipped for this task. It would be dangerous for the homeowner to attempt it on his own, and the job would not be completed as well either.